Wednesday, January 18, 2012

What is a field study and why am I doing one in Uganda?

This spring/summer I have decided to go on an independent field study to Gulu, Uganda. A field study at BYU is where you design a research project to conduct while living and immersing yourself in a different culture somewhere around the world. Ever since I first heard about field studies at BYU, I knew that I had to go on one because I feel like it is potentially the most enriching opportunity offered at an university. I chose to go to Uganda because my brother, Jaron, is living over there right now working for Voices of Global Change: Paper to Pearls, a non-profit organization that sells beads made out of recycled paper by women in northern Uganda. The women make beads for another non-profit as well called African Promise Foundation (APF). I met with Suzy, the founder of APF, and would like to help them in their endeavors to expand their organization in order to really help support the women beaders. I also know of a St. Jude's orphanage really close to where I'll be living, which would be awesome to volunteer at, but at the moment I still don't have my project all figured out. I know that Uganda is where I am supposed to go this summer, but I just need to find out the right project for me to conduct while over there.

No comments:

Post a Comment