Monday, January 23, 2012

1,2,3,4,5,6,7 cultures?

Ever since the class period we had when we all discussed what culture is, I've been thinking about what cultures I identify with. It's interesting for me to realize that there are so many different cultures that I feel apart of. Since I live in America, the way I speak and eat and dress and learn and express myself and so many other things about me have been shaped by the norms and what's expected of me as a U.S. citizen. Since I'm from the Seattle area, I have been influenced by the culture there that I've noticed is so much different than here in Provo. Back home, nobody uses umbrellas when it rains, seafood is everywhere, pretty much everyone owns a fleece and a raincoat, recycling and being "green" is HUGE, most people are liberal.... Growing up where I did and the culture there has definitely influenced many of my ideas and values. It bothers me so much how horrible the recycling system here is and how many people have no idea how to recycle!

Besides just where I live, being female is another culture that's apart of me. There are some things that I share in common with everyone of my same sex that are not shared by guys. Another culture I am apart of, is LDS culture-going to church for 3 hours every Sunday, fasting once a month, our beliefs, wearing modest clothing...etc. This also ties into the BYU culture I am apart of now too. There's also a culture within my family. You seriously might have a hard time understanding everything we say to each other and joke about. Since we all lived in Switzerland for a little while, little German phrases slip into our conversations.

You get the point. I just find it so interesting to think of all the different cultures I identify with. I need to keep that in mind when I go to Uganda and meet people because I just showed myself that you can't generalize and apply customs and values of one person you meet to everyone in their country. We are all apart of many cultures, which makes us all so different from each other even when we may have one or two cultures in common.

No comments:

Post a Comment