Wednesday, January 18, 2012

changing my mind-set

Recently in my International Development class, my teacher brought up the point that whenever we go into another country thinking we are going to help the people and make a difference, disaster happens. That really struck me because I think that's what my mind-set has been in a way and I need to change that. In reality, I'm probably going to learn so much more from the people in Uganda that will ultimately help shape me into a better person, than they will learn from me. I mean hopefully I'll be able to do some good while over there, but I can't have the mind-set that they're helpless and need me because I need them just as much or more than they need me. It's not right for us living in comfortable living conditions in the U.S. to think that we're better or higher than anyone else and that we're the only ones with something to offer.

3 comments:

  1. I think a big part of that mindset as well is looking at relative goodness.
    I feel like in reality a lot of people who do development can be just as selfish as the people who don't bother, even though they are technically "sacrificing" by going to countries with different living conditions.
    I am very curious to learn what you think about development. It is something I think about a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that some people do development work for the wrong reasons, like making other countries more beneficial for US, but I also think that you have to give some credit to people who have good intentions and are trying to do what's right, but end up not. We have to learn from what people have tried and learn from their mistakes and successes, right? Our problem, I think, is that we often don't learn from their mistakes and keep making the same ones. Honestly, I don't really know what I think of development at the moment. It's so hard to figure out the best way to go about it and so many times people end up making things worse for the country than when they started.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete