Friday, July 13, 2012

Progress in the interviews

Ever since I implemented the changes in my approach to the interviews, they have been going so well. Ray has helped me tell the women in advance about the interview and the kinds of things they should talk about, so they are prepared when we come. We have also expressed that there is no sense of urgency, so the interviews are much more relaxed and natural. My favorite interviews have been the ones where we came to the lady's home and she was making paper beads and just started out talking casually with me and Ray or maybe there were a few of her friends also there making paper beads. Then we shared a meal together and did the interview while she was still making paper beads. It's so much more natural this way and I actually feel like we're getting to know each other. I love being in the women's homes and spending time with them. Ray has also been helping me with asking questions during the interviews, which is awesome because he knows now the questions I usually ask and will often ask them before I do. The interviews have gotten longer, in general, which is awesome and I think it has to do with our approach and the feeling that they can talk as much as they want and don't need to rush.

1 comment:

  1. Finding the right method for an interview is one of the hardest things i have run into here as well, it is one of those things that you cant figure out until you do it over and over again. Turns out you get the hang of it right before you are about to leave but thus is the essence of Field Studies.

    ReplyDelete