Thursday, May 10, 2012

The adventures begin!

So I've been in Uganda for a little over a week and it's amazing. I love it here and can already tell it will be hard to leave. Gulu is such a great little city and all the people I have met so far have been so welcoming and so loving. It's rainy season, so every morning is super hot and sunny and then in the evenings, the rain comes and just down pours. Last night was the craziest storm I have ever witnessed! It makes all the roads super exciting because we get to ride through rivers and over tons of bumps:)

So far I have been in the homes of four of the women who I will be working with for my field study project. We also met with all of the women who make the beads here in Gulu that Jaron works for on Monday. It was so great to meet all of them and witness the awesome sense of friendship between all of them. They all seem like best friends and they were so happy and laughing all the time, which made me super excited to get to work among such fun people. One of the women, Christine, speaks english really well, so she translates for Jaron when talking to the women. Christine is one of the women whose home I got to visit last week. Her and her family made me feel so loved and accepted when we visited their home. They served us a delicious meal and beforehand went around to each person with a bowl and cup full of water to wash our hands. They came to me first and I didn't really know what I was supposed tyo do, so of course they laughed at me, but I eventaully figured it out. Good times:) We then all ate rice with meat and obooga, I'm not sure how to spell it but it's a green vegetable that tastes super good. When we left their home, I had this overwhelming feeling of joy and I felt so touched by their kindness.

I'm so grateful to be here and will keep you posted!


1 comment: