Wednesday, February 22, 2012

"having the vaccine, we have invented smallpox"

I went to the keynote lecture today for the Inquiry Conference and it was so awesome. I took Soc 111 from Ralf, so his lecture was a really great reminder of all the things I learned from his class my first semester at BYU. The lecture reminded me that I always need to be aware of the fact that exactly what I see, is not what anyone else sees. Everyone comes from different backgrounds, has experienced different things, is made up of different characteristics and that makes it so that every person sees the world with a different perspective. Relating that to what rem was talking about in his presentation at the Inquiry Conference, just because I see a problem and think I know the solution, that doesn't mean that everyone else sees the same problem or same solution because it depends on perception. Rem talked about how much more effective it is when going over to another country to do development work, to make sure the locals are totally involved every step of the way. It's so much better when the locals identify the problems they see within their community because from an outsider's point of view, I may see things that I think are problems, but to the locals aren't necessarily. Therefore, by coming in with an idea on how to solve something I think is a problem, I might actually be creating the problem. Galbraith said "Having the vaccine, we have invented smallpox".

This goes back to one of my earlier posts about not having the mind-set that I will help the people I will be with in Uganda and I will make a huge difference because that so often causes problems. I really like what Ralf said about how we should not only count our blessings, but also see what we don't have. I need to open my mind to see that I, as a white, LDS, American, do not have everything and I'm definitely not the only one with something to offer. There is so much more for me to learn from people with different lenses than me, which is how Ralf described the different characteristics that shape our perception. Everyone has something different to offer, including me, but most definitely not just me.

1 comment:

  1. I just have to say... I love this post! Probably because it helps me change *my* mindset.

    ReplyDelete